Wednesday, June 16, 2010

round here

Step out the front door like a ghost

Into the fog where no one notices

The contrast of white on white.

And in between the moon and you

Angels get a better view

Of the crumbling difference between wrong and right.

And I walk in the air between the rain, through myself and back again

Where? I don't know

Well, Maria says she's dying

Through the door I hear her crying

Why? I don't know
have been very busy working 3 jobs these days. i work as a substance abuse counselor at a public health hospital here and work with persons with hiv. i also teach DUI classes 3x week and work with highly ambivalent people who may be seeing a substance issue in the light for the 1st time.  i also work with as a cater waiter with private chefs around town. of course the catering is the most lucrative position. it pays the best and the work is fairly steady for part time. i work with some extremely talented people, eat very well, and get to visits homes and neighborhoods that i normally wouldn't see.

i actually love this diversity. i don't think i could ever revert to being a server on a full time basis and retain my sanity. but i also think that working parties and small events affords me the luxury of letting go of some of the serious qualities of my day job. there are definitely people with problems and many of them cross my path. i love this job- or at least the possibilities it holds. my co-workers are mostly eccentric and that is very comfortable place for me to be. and the people i work with as a counselor continue to touch my heart.

i am still learning that "being there" sometimes needs to be enough. this continues to be a lesson that challenges my "fixer" sensibility. but i'm tryin'...

i  heard this song last night at a party and remembered how much i liked it....

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite songs as well. I am so glad you have found balance in your life. I am looking for that moment of balancing between writing, art, family and service.

    ReplyDelete